Friday, April 30, 2010

Day 1: Arrival

Last fall, I qualified to run the Boston Marathon. This is something that I thought would never happen, or maybe not until I was several decades older. I couldn't pass up the chance to run, even though I had no chance of winning. Brian agreed to accompany me. We'd head out there, I'd run the marathon, and then we'd have the following week to sight-see.

Here's Brian with our luggage, waiting for the bus to take us from extended stay parking to the airport:Entering the airport:
We made it to Boston with no difficulties, and took the T to the apartment we were renting for the week. We arrived before the official check-in time, but were allowed to leave our luggage in the apartment so we could go to the expo and pick up my packet.

I didn't get many pictures of the expo -- it was so crowded! This gives you some idea:
It was barely possible to move, so we left shortly after picking up my packet. We had lunch at the food court in the mall attached to the convention center (no pictures).

Finally, we got to our apartment. The outside:And some inside pictures:
It was a cute studio, rented from Zoe Apartments, which we recommend if anyone is traveling to Boston! Hotel prices skyrocket during the marathon, due to demand, and this was a very reasonable alternative.

We had just about the perfect location -- the North End, which is the Italian section. We were a block or two away from the Freedom Trail and the Old North Church.

A view of our street:Pre-marathon dinner is typically pasta. Since we were in the Italian section of the city, this worked out nicely! We ate at Panza.They had at least two vegetarian options on their menu, so we got to eat different entrees:We then returned home. I wanted to stay off of my feet as much as possible, and get lots of sleep before the race the next day!

No comments: